News Ticker

Real Hummus Recipe

Making hummus isn’t too hard, and it’s certainly is something that you want to try at least once – or like many, time and time again, in search for the holly grail of real hummus flavor. Our simple recipe for traditional homemade hummus, is a good place to start.

originally published 14 October 2006. last update: 15 September 2015

There’s nothing like good, healthy, homemade hummus, and there isn’t really a reason for you not to try making it yourself.

Making good Hummus isn’t just about having a good recipe, though. True, there are quantities to keep and procedures to follow, but in order to make a really good hummus you must also practice a certain state of mind and a certain touch.

Homemade hummus

You shouldn’t, and can’t, compete with people who have been making hummus all their lives. On the other hand, you can still make a very tasty hummus the first time you try. It will taste 10 times better than any packaged hummus you can buy, and be 10 times healthier as well (read more here). With time, you will get the touch and become a hummus expert.

A hummus made right, will not make you feel heavy or bloated after you eat it. It will not make you – excuse my French – fart like crazy, either. It should go down smoothly, leaving you light and happy, and in a cheerful mood.

To solve the gas problem, BTW, you should soak the chickpeas in clean water for 10-15 hours, switch them at list once, and take off the foam that appears over the boiling water during the cooking. That’s all (and if you’re extra sensitive, put one bay leave into the cooking pot).

Also, washing the chickpeas well between every two steps of the making, will help you leave out the aftertastes.

There are lots of different hummus recipes. I came across dozens of hummus recipes, and practically tried them all. The recipe before you, is the best in my opinion. Accurate and well tested – although you should feel free to experiment. Good luck!

[4 extra-large bowls of Hummus]

• 1 cups dried chickpeas (the smallest you can find)
  • 1/2 cup tahini
  • juice from 1 squeezed lemons
  • 1-2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon + 1/8-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • salt
  • olive oil
  • parsley

1. Pour the chickpeas over a large plate. Go over them and look for damaged grains small stones, or any other thing you would rather leave out of the plate.

2. Wash the chickpeas several times, until the water is transparent. Soak them in clean water over night with 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Then, wash it, and soak again in tap water for a few more hours. The grains should absorb most of the water and almost double their volume.

3. Wash the chickpeas well and put them in a large pot. Cover with water, add the rest baking soda and NO salt. Cook until the grains are very easily smashed when pressed between two fingers. It should take around 1-1.5 hours, during which it is advised to switch the water once again, and remove the peels and foam which float over the cooking water. When done, sieve the grains and keep the cooking water.

4. Put the chickpeas into a food processor and grind well. Leave it to chill a little while before you continue.

5. Add the tahini and the rest of the ingredients and go on with the food processor until you get the desired texture. If the Humus is too thick, add some of the cooking water. It should be thinner than the actual desired texture.

Serve with some good olive oil and chopped parsley.

223 Comments on Real Hummus Recipe

1. Hi Shooky! I love your blog. After eating hummus in Israel, my life has just not been the same. This blog has given me some hope! I went to a place in NYC called “Mimi’s hummus” this past weekend and it was the closest thing I have come to Israeli hummus, but still not the same. Luckily I just found Karawan tahini on Ebay, so maybe I can begin to make my own. Any suggestions on where to order good chickpeas?. :)

Have a good weekend! :)

2. I made this recipe and it was very good.

I usually make my hummus in a mixer and let it mix for 20-minutes. This mixing process adds air into the hummus and makes it creamy.

I also add 2-tablespoons of good yogurt. This also makes it creamy and enhances the lemon juice.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

3. Wow! Comments on this for 6 years! amazing! shows what a wonderful recipe it is! Made my first batch today and it is so awesome! I can see a few minor adjustments I might make but that’s what it’s all about right, adjusting to taste. I loved reading all the comments here and everyone’s sharing and LOVE that people are so passionate about hummus! Many many thanks!

4. Love the hummus we ate in the Middle East – it was so light and yummy. Is the secret to eliminate the skins?

5. Hi,

I was in Israel this year some days to make holidays. But not this kind of holidays with hotel, managed tours etc.! Just a backpack, tent, and a bit of money.
    It was a little bit hard to explain at the airport, that I doesnt know anyone in this country and even doesnt know any word in hebrew – but this is another funny story 😉
    What I wanted to say is: since then, I not only felt in love with this beautiful country and people, but also I felt in love with hummus!
    So, back in Berlin, I searched for a good recipe, found this site, and decided to try. Without food compressor. Bad Idea. The first try was for the wastebin (in my opinion! A friend of mine was also trying the “hummus”, he didnt eate hummus ever before, and he liked it, haha).
    I didnt wanted to give up, buyed a food compressor (yes, just for making humus), tried again, (this time I didnt forget to keep the cooking water ;)…) and: it was great! Texture, taste – wunderful!
    So, to cut a long story short: Thanks for the great recipe!!!

kind regards

6. Swetha Chellappa // September 30, 2014 at 5:06 pm // Reply

Thank you for the recipe.
    I saw this a while back,but have not gotten a chance to try yet;but I can’t wait to try!

Could you please tell me how long this can be stored in the refrigerator?

Thank you!

• You can store fresh hummus in the fridge for 2-3 day, as long as you don’t open it. You can also freeze the cooked chickpeas for several weeks before you make the hummus, so the best practice is to cook a lot of chickpeas and defreeze some every time you fancy fresh hummus.

7. Swetha Chellappa // October 15, 2014 at 11:47 pm // Reply

I made hummus using your recipe yesterday and it was SO good.It was one of the best I’d had in a while.Thank you very very much!

8. The late Diane Kennedy once advised something to the effect of “if the recipe tells you to throw out the soaking water, throw out the recipe!” Why is it so hard to kill this myth? Changing the water you soak any kind of legume in is not going to make you gas less. It’s the nature of the bean. The solution is to eat more beans! Get your system used to them. The starches in the bean are what produce the gas among those not used to them, and nothing you can do, or add, will change that.

Use the same water you soak the chickpeas in for cooking them, and then be sure to save that water—some may be needed for the hummus (why use fresh water when you have the broth from cooking the peas?) because it is one of the most flavorful broths you’ll ever get from cooking a single ingredient—-use it for stock, freeze it if necessary!

• Shooky Galili // November 15, 2014 at 1:16 am // Reply

Gryphoisle – that’s a very nice theory, but water in which you soaked chickpeas are acidic and rich in oligosaccharides that we can’t digest. The cooking water has both flavor and nutrients. The soaking water doesn’t.

9. Soooo… I’ve made this recipe a few times and it does make nice hummus BUT… I have a problem: I cook the peas at as slow a simmer as I can on my gas stove top but when they’re soft to the touch most of the peels have not separated. Is that a big deal? Do I just chop up whatever peels and include it in the hummas? Or do I go through the messy process of removing the peels from each pea by hand? What can I do during cooking to get the peels to come off without cooking the peas to the point of mush?! TIA.

• Shooky Galili // December 8, 2014 at 8:12 am // Reply

Hi SP,
      You can make your hummus without separating the peels. It may effect the texture a little, but it’ll still be delicious. Also, if you use chickpeas that are small enough, their peels would get so thin after cooking that you can hardly see or feel them.

10. Experimental Cook // January 14, 2015 at 3:57 pm // Reply

Regarding the allergy to tahini: I substitute peanut butter with flavorful, if not authentic results.

11. Thanks for this recipe. It is the best one I have seen and I have learned a thing or two from it. I think I will go back to using garlic and cumin again. I always used to. the only thing is, I would not use a blender. I mash everything with a masher, even though it is more work. I recommend trying this approach so you can decide for yourself which you prefer. The results are not the same.

12. Amir El Hage // June 1, 2015 at 2:36 am // Reply

Thank you for the recipy and congratulations for the website!
    I’ve been eating pretty decent hummus all my life, howerver I just made this recipy today and had the best hummus ever.

1 3 4 5

31 Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. The emerging hummus market at Humus101 - Humus Secrets
  2. Hummus with Pretzel Crisps?! | The Hummus Blog
  3. The Married Guy Cook » Blog Archive » Hummus Blog
  4. Are Falafel and Tahini nutritious too? : The Hummus Blog
  5. 2007 October 03 : The Hummus Blog
  6. 2007 October 06 : The Hummus Blog
  7. The Hummus Blog » 2008 » January » 14
  8. Hummus-Ful: Recipe and Photos » The Hummus Blog
  9. Fetteh: the Cousin of Hummus (plus recipe) » The Hummus Blog
  10. Hummus « Nomadenseele’s Weblog
  11. Delishus « It’s big, it’s green, and climate change is gonna kill you.
  12. Heart-Warming Homemade Falafel Sandwiches with Homemade Tahini | The Fresh Dish | Food and Cooking Blog - Good Easy Recipes
  13. 6 hummus Recipes | Bohemian Revolution
  14. Hummus Blog - The Frugal Guy Cook
  15. Just how Successful Hummus is in North America | The Hummus Blog
  16. Manos en la Masa» Blog Archive » Hummus
  17. Original Hummus | The Nourished Vegetarian
  18. Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus « $5.00 a day
  19. Blizzard Beef Recipe | Leite's Culinaria
  20. pita bread
  21. Hammus recipes | Sekotin
  22. Lilipep Barcelona | Next Stop Barcelona
  23. Tomayto Tomahto | Hummus
  24. ku przestrodze « koszyczek
  25. Fussy About Legumes in Your Diet Plan? Hummus Is the Solution! – – Homemade Hummus for Weight Loss
  26. Chickpea (gram flour) waffles | Henning Wötzel-Herber
  27. Hummus Monday » mastr
  28. Scarves, Babies, and More Babies! | UaMV
  29. Photo of The Day – July 25, 2012 | Twixmixy's Pic Of The Day
  30. Hummus-un deliciu sanatos
  31. Hummusland . Fast food has never been so healthy and delicious * Design Catwalk