Hummus: nutritional facts

Hummus is a nutritional treasure. It’s not only delicious to eat, but also contain lots of vitamins, minerals, amino acids.See Also: Hummus, is it good for your Diet?

It’s hard to be decisive when talking about hummus in general. There are different kinds of hummus, in which the exact quantities of each ingredient vary. So it’s a little hard to be precise, but I can tell you: hummus is certainly good for you!

By the way: we are talking solely about homemade – or at list handmade – hummus (recipe). Industrial packaged hummus is not that healthy.

So what does hummus contain?

First of all, about 60-70% water. And though Tahini, the second most important ingredient, is basically a faty extract (of sesame seeds), only 10% of the final “product” is fat. And we’re talking about good fat, with lots of Omega 3 in it (200-300mg in an average serving of about 1 cup). The rest is mostly Carbohydrates and protein.

Overall, hummus contain up to 200 calories for 100g, and a large hummus portion may contain up to 300 grams. True, not really dietary in the regular sense. On the other hand, it makes you really satiated, without increasing glucose levels in your blood that much (Gthe lycemic Index, GI, is 10-15). So for most people hummus is a healthy, calorie-worthy choice.

Hummus also contains lots of crucial nutrients, most of which come from the tahini BTW. It has a high content of important minerals like Manganese, Copper and Sodium, and also some Calcium, Iron, Magnesium and Zinc. It is relatively reach in Vitamin C and B6 and also contain vitamin E, K, Folate and Thiamin.

Hummus also contain about 20 essential Amino Acids, including large dosages of Tryptophan,
Phenylalanine and Tyrosine, a threesome that makes it, surprisingly, a potential substitute for Prozac and the such. Omega 3 too was found to be effective in treatment for minor mood disorders, such as depression and anxiety.

So what am I saying? If you love hummus you can eat a lot of eat, and not feel bad about it. You are going to be healthier and happyier.

Disclaimer: I’m no expert, not in the acasemic sense. Only a guy who LOVES hummus and reads a lot.

Comments

56 Responses to “Hummus: nutritional facts”

1. Barak on April 13th, 2007 1:21 am

Shooky, this blog is a great resource for humus-lovers! Your humus-as-anti-depressant theory sounds like my own theory about Japanese red-bean cakes, which always make me feel slightly euphoric. I attribute the cheer to some combination of amino acids. Maybe if you ease up on the prepared-humus-is-crap attitude, you can get Sabra or Two Brothers to fund a research grant, and then you’ll be able to spend all your time on humus.

2. lara on October 10th, 2007 4:06 am

hummus is love.

3. David on December 24th, 2007 9:30 pm

HUMMUS IS A WONDERFUL FOOD! WE LIVE ON IT (WITH WARM WHEAT PITA OFF THE GRILL) ALMOST EVERYDAY AS A SNACK – IT DOES WONDERS FOR THE APPETITE AND HELPS SHED WEIGHT OVERALL. WE BUY THE GARLIC WITH EXTRA VIRGIN OIL BRAND. YUM, I GOING TO HEAT A PITA AND DIP IN HUMMUS RIGHT NOW!

4. Janet on December 26th, 2007 9:24 pm

Hummus is also an excellent source of protein, especially when eaten with pita or other breadstuff. It is the tastiest, most satisfying food. I eat it for supper about 4 nights a week with sliced turnips or sliced kohlrabi, carrots, sweet peppers, celery, little tomatoes or tomato wedges, or any other veg you like for dipping. All in all a lovely food.

5. Allison on March 5th, 2008 10:36 pm

Just wanted to say that myself and my entire office are hummus eaters- we eat it everyday at 3 00 and we have a case of it from Tribe Hummus whomakes the best hummus in the world ! We love it on Mazoh and on Wasa bread . The Zesty Lemon is our favorite and it also helps our digestive systems we go regualry everyday – in addition we are all women and all are in a sales department so it helps when we get depressed!! We love hummus !

6. shooky on March 6th, 2008 2:26 am

Allisson – I suspect you never tried REAL hummus. Packages hummus like Tribe’s is not as tasty, nor is it healthy as much as freshly made hummus.

7. The Hummus Diet: cause it works make! » The Hummus Blog on March 16th, 2008 12:32 am

[...] should come as no surprise to you if you know a bit about hummus. I already discussed the nutritional virtues of hummus in prior posts so I won’t go into too much details this time, but the fact is that hummus is [...]

8. Shiro on April 15th, 2008 9:02 pm

Ever tried shiro? its an Eritrean/Ethiopian dish also made from chickpeas. Powdered chickpeas spiced with few other spices like pepper, onion, tomato, and olive oil…added to bioled water. My favoret ‘hummus’ you can call it, and I eat endless amounts of it.

9. j. Madison Rink on August 19th, 2008 10:52 pm

I loved finding your blog! Thanks for all this hummas love and insight!

I’ve certainly found Hummas to be yummy and highly satisfying with pita bread or even better pita chips…and as much as I love that combination – I have often avoided doing it for caloric reasons! Recently I’ve had a desire to eat more raw vegetables and needed something to tempt and motivate me to keep it up – so as I speak I’ve been dipping broccoli, cauliflower and peppers in hummas for additional zip and VOILA! After reading all the information on your site – I now want to explore making it myself! Thanks again and yet another example of the power and magic of the Internet! I didn’t expect to find an entire blog dedicated to this wonderful dish!

10. Me on October 28th, 2008 6:37 pm

not sure you can say all mass produced hummus isn’t that good for you…

11. Shay on October 29th, 2008 5:11 pm

love your site
    love humus
    כל טוב
    Shay.

12. Katie! on November 4th, 2008 8:22 am

hummus is delicious, but I have come to figure out that it isn’t a very fun food.

13. Falafel and Tahini nutritional facts » The Hummus Blog on April 9th, 2009 11:51 am

[...] a recent posts I already explained how nutritious Hummus is (I’m talking about REAL hummus of course, freshly made from dried chickpeas. Here’s the [...]

14. Clint on June 16th, 2009 12:33 am

Great on bake potatoes!

15. jimmy on July 22nd, 2009 6:50 am

be brave young humus lovers,wherever you are. tweek it.try hemp oil instead of olive. try stalks of bok choy for scuppin’ it. go southwest, add a pepper, perhaps jalapeno or cayenne. i like homemade cuz you have more choice. chives or parsley or oregano from your garden. maybe freshly foraged ,cleaned and grated dandelion root. go for it.

16. MILTON STEIN on September 14th, 2009 4:22 pm

HUMMUS IS YUMMUS

17. claudia arbelaez on October 20th, 2009 3:45 am

You should really try the best recipe that will guaranty you to stay away from doctors specialty during the winter .The name of delicious recipe issssssssss.CLAUDIA`S home made ”HUMMUS”.give me a call and I will show you how.(717-6617433).

18. sherrad on November 22nd, 2009 12:53 am

my recipe…………..chick peas, roasted red peppers, olive oil, garlic, and spicy red sauce……….YUM

19. sam on January 5th, 2010 7:38 pm

Try it instead of mayo with tuna or grated carrot on sandwiches or baked potato – amazing!!

20. MILTON STEIN on January 30th, 2010 8:35 pm

habanero pepper instead of red pepper sauce,
    the hotter the better…

21. Liberty Grotto Blog » Hummus – Nutrional Food and Natural Mood Enhancer on March 3rd, 2010 12:07 am
  22. Cindus on May 11th, 2010 11:34 pm

Homemade, roasted red bell pepper, some Jalapenos…yummy! I DO NOT like any store bought since making it at home, including cooking the chick peas.

23. CC on June 19th, 2010 1:05 am

Hummus is so delicious! And another feel good food are figs!

24. Hummus, Babaganoush and much needed downtime on July 8th, 2010 7:57 am

[...] The Hummus Blog Hummus Nutrition Facts Hummus instead of Prozac Tags: babaganouj, babaganoush, hummus [...]

25. Oliver Stanton on July 27th, 2010 12:31 am

Steam fresh beets (quartered) for 15-20 min (depending on size).
    Don’t waste time removing skin (IMHO they taste better but make sure well washed to remove soil/sand etc.). They will stay good in the refrigerator for quite a few days.
    Spread cold beets generously with hummus.
    As close as I ever get to a religious experience!
    Discovered by accident when the refrigerator was suddenly bereft of mayo (thank you wife for having placed a container of hummus in easy reach at this very critical moment xoxoxo).
    Now I have found that everything I formally paired with mayo can be dramatically improved with hummus. Serendipity came to my rescue!
    I now actually love making my own (O.K. “our own” as I will occasionally let others in the family share the joy) hummus: protein, fiber, good oils, wonderful fragrances of lemon, garlic, cumin, parsley,
    Good things can still come late in life.

26. norm on August 2nd, 2010 11:37 pm

Are the following found in chickpeas or tahini?

Tryptophan
    Phenylalanine
    and Tyrosine

I make my hummus without tahini.

27. shooky on August 21st, 2010 12:18 pm

norm – both chickpeas and tahini are rich in all three amino acids (and about 15 others), but the amounts of Tryptophan in tahini is much higher.

28. Lunches My Kids Will Actually Eat | Lunchsense on October 13th, 2010 11:46 pm

[...] cheddar and fresh spinach wrap.  I didn’t discover hummus until I was in my early 30’s, and now it’s one of my favorite snacks.  My kids love it in [...]

29. LYNNE on October 24th, 2010 12:17 am

my favorite hummus is Cilantro and Jalapeno Hummus from Trader Joe’s

30. Erin on December 8th, 2010 5:45 am

I’m freaking lovin’ this lol. I just got done polishing off a container of (locally made/organic) hummus. Mmmmm.

31. Terry, VP Nutrition Facts on January 11th, 2011 6:08 am

I like home-made hummus. Some of the commercially-prepared stuff is a little high in fat for my liking. But I like it with that special flat bread. Mmmmm.

32. toadey on March 3rd, 2011 9:11 pm

I am a Diabetic how much Protein is in Hummus? Can any one break down the carbs ect?

33. rhys on April 16th, 2011 1:35 pm

I have recently discoverd houmous it keeps me full for hours I would even say its better than meat and I like my meat!

34. Lizzy on May 15th, 2011 3:20 pm

There are only 8 essential amino acids, not 20!

But I do love hummus so I’m not trying to argue…

35. Sophie on June 28th, 2011 9:31 pm

I love Hummus, first tasting it about 10 years ago. I recently been diagnosed with Diabetes so thanks for some of yalls info on it. Also i recently started buying a hummus with artichokes and spinach, i love it so much i made an omelet with it and its great!

36. charles on September 5th, 2011 11:35 pm

Comments address amino acids in hummus:
    – There are eight amino acids that are referred to as “essential” amino acids. They are called essential as your body does not make these amino acids and must be consumed through food intake.
    – These acids are as follows;
    — isoleucine
    — leucine
    — lysine
    — methionine
    — prenylalaine
    — threonine
    — tryptophan
    — valine
    Three of these acids are -not -found in chickpeas but are found in tahini. These are;
    — methionine
    — threonine
    — tryptophan
    For a nutritious, well-balanced hummus you need tahini. I only point this out for the vegans who need to be aware of their protein/animo acid intake. I cite Alton Brown’s you tube video as the source and, if you love hummus (as I do) you need to see his hummus video on this web site. Cheers.

37. Hummus, Babaganoush and much needed downtime | goddessgrub.com on September 23rd, 2011 12:52 am

[...] The Hummus Blog Hummus Nutrition Facts Hummus instead of Prozac This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. ← Crispy, Crunchy Low Fat Oven Fried Eggplant [...]

38. Larathefoodtechwhizz. on January 17th, 2012 2:57 pm

Hummus rules the earth. Amino acids are essential. It is one of my chosen 6 products. AMENNN

39. Aaron on January 17th, 2012 3:05 pm

WOOOOOHHH! We love hummus!!

There are a large amount of amino acids in it as well such as methionine and prenylalaine

40. Three energizing snacks to power you through your day on February 6th, 2012 11:37 pm

[...] [...]

41. Three energizing snacks to power you through your day | TaJnB | TheAverageJoeNewsBlogg on February 7th, 2012 6:14 am
  42. Three energizing snacks to electric power you by using your day « My Helpful History on February 9th, 2012 2:48 am

[...] lavender and tea tree pimples soap (a hundred% sulfate and chemical complimentary) right here atAuraSensory Pure Body and Pores and skin Care. You might also see tips about basic health and fitness, perfectly getting and splendor nutritional [...]

43. Jennifer on March 1st, 2012 10:44 pm

Sundried Tomato Hummus, Spinach and Artichoke Hummus, Classic Hummus….on whole wheat pita with tomato….perfect treat.

44. Jennifer on March 1st, 2012 10:45 pm

Hummus, got my bf into it. So many varieties, great on whole wheat pita

45. Jennifer on March 1st, 2012 10:46 pm

How can you go wrong with Hummus?

46. Sarah on June 5th, 2012 9:42 pm

Hummus is so yummy. When I eat it I smile!!! Yummoooooo!

47. H-addict on June 18th, 2012 1:12 am

Today I with my gf prepared the first batch of hummus. Couple weeks ago I’ve made yoghurt for a first time – pretty easy task actually, doing it every couple of days, and last weekend I’ve bought ground sesame from which we’ve made some tahini dip – obviously incomparably superior to any ready-made one.
    So after these successful experiments that was only natural to go for the hummus.

Pretty easy as well – get quantity of chickpeas, I’ve got about 2.2 pounds and it’s a lot of hummus! wash them couple of times and leave in a large – they expand at least 2.5 times – bowl with sufficient quantity of water. This time we’ve held chickpeas in the water for about 15-18 hours – busy working etc. After that get rid of the water the chickpeas were in, put them in cooking pot, preferably twice the size of the chickpeas, fill it with the water just so it wont spill out while boiling, and put on fire. Different sources measure different time – anywhere from 1.5 hours with baking soda to 6-7 hours without. Some say that without soda it’s not possible to get perfect smoothness – we didn’t use any soda and got perfectly smooth paste at the end. We’ve cooked it for 8-9 hours, until the outer shell of seeds begun to separate. Take off fire, separate water, wash with running water couple of times and put aside to cool down – hummus must be the room temperature before proceeding.
    Meanwhile prepare tahini – 1 quantity of grind sesame to 0.5 – 1.5 quantities of ice cubes. ice might be replaced with water, quantity depends on quality of sesame I suppose – it took us about 1.5 or even slightly more quantities of water to make tahini liquid, as it should be. Now, we’ve forgot to put garlic to boil with chickpeas, so we’ve added it on this stage – very good, especially if you like garlic.
    Now there is one major concept to be understood about hummus: It is a base food – like rise, wheat, rye, corn and few others. Which means that it’s only matter of your personal taste – or the family tradition – how exactly you make it and what it tastes like.
    We’ve used following spices: Some Lemon, hot pepper (home grown also, just don’t know what species it is – extremely hot, 1 small pepper makes large cooking pot of soup almost inedible to someone who is not used to spicy food), cumin, garlic, parsley and olive oil, all added just so it tastes good – there’s only one rule – don’t spice too much.
    So add a quantity of tahini – 10%-20% of hummus you have, and aforementioned spices, stir well – preferably with blender, but a simple fork will do for a small quantity.
    That’s it. The best hummus I’ve ever taste (honestly) is ready. I didn’t even care to serve it properly with olive oil and tahini on the plate – we’ve made it so rich with tahini and olive oil that there really were no need to add any, so we’ve enjoyed it plain, with dark bread and some skhug.

>How can you go wrong with Hummus?
    Cook it too little.
    Add too much spices or too little tahini.

48. Terry on December 16th, 2012 10:54 pm

Shop-bought hummus is just as healthy as any that you can make in your kitchen. Like 99% of the population I buy pre-packaged and the idea that it’s inferior is the sort of hippy snobbery that puts people off this sort of food in the first place.

49. shooky on December 20th, 2012 3:40 pm

Terry – sorry for popping the news but you are dead wrong. Packaged hummus usually have very little tahini in it, and the rest is substituted with cheep veg. oil. It has preservatives, stabilizers and other chemicals that aren’t part of the original dish. Hummus is a healthy food. Packaged hummus isn’t.

50. Karen on December 21st, 2012 4:38 pm

“Healthful” aside, that cheap vegetable oil and the citric acid thrown in to sub for lemon make for a greasy, nasty product. I don’t bother making my own hummus but there are plenty of vendors near me, Israeli and Lebanese, who sell proper hummus made fresh daily, and even though some are more to my taste than others, they’re all head-and-shoulders above the likes of Sabra. Blecch.

51. Healthy Study Snacks | University of Health on March 19th, 2013 6:56 am

[...] veggies, or just plain old pita bread. Yum. Plus there’s a lot of good stuff in it! Read here for more [...]

52. Hummus in your diet: is it good for you? | THE HUMMUS BLOG on June 2nd, 2013 5:11 am

[...] There’s a little argue about the culinary virtues of hummus. There is some confusion and misunderstanding about it’s nutritional value, though. Is hummus good for you? Is it good for your health? Will it make you fat? Is it really that rich in vitamins and other healthy stuff, or is all that merely a myth, encouraged by people with commercial interests? Also read: Hummus Nutritional Facts [...]

53. Daniel on July 22nd, 2013 4:22 am

Try it with Srirachs for a spicy good treat!!

54. Nasrin on October 29th, 2013 6:54 pm

I’m looking at the packaging on Tribe Classic hummus and am SHOCKED that a serving contains ZERO calcium. Hummus is lauded for its calcium content but this popular brand has NONE. It also has ZERO vitamin C ( no lemon, seriously?!) and only 2 grams of protein 2% DV or iron.

I’m so disappointed, I contacted the company.

This is the LAST time our family consumes packaged hummus. Convenience does not trump nutrition.

55. Enjoying the World of Vegetarian Foods | My Medical Forum Blog on December 18th, 2013 9:01 am
  56. Enjoying the World of Vegetarian Foods « MyMedicalForum on February 11th, 2014 11:05 pm

Got something to say?